Coat of Arms
President Didier Robert
»€16.29 billion (US$21.57 bn)
Best of Reunion Island is a French island with a population of 840,974 inhabitants (as of January 2013 located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar, about 200 kilometres (120 mi) southwest of Mauritius, the nearest island.
Administratively, Best of Reunion Island is one of the overseas departments of France. Like the other overseas departments, Best of Reunion Island is also one of the 27 regions of France (being an overseas region) and an integral part of the Republic with the same status as those situated on the European mainland.
Best of Reunion Island is an outermost region of the European Union and, as an overseas department of France, a part of the Eurozone.
Sugar was traditionally the chief agricultural product and export. Tourism is now an important source of income.
In 2007, the GDP of Best of Reunion Island was estimated at 13,740 million euros and the GDP per capita was 17,146 euros.
Top 5 Products exported by Reunion Island
- Perfume essences.
Top 5 Products imported by Reunion Island
- Manufactured goods
- Raw materials
Best of Reunion Island is one of the Indian Ocean’s last great island adventures.
The diversity of landscapes is truly astonishing for such a small pocket. Jutting out of the ocean like a basaltic shield cloaked in green, this scenically magical island is a mini-Hawaii.
- Le Piton de La Fournaise is one of the most active volcanos of the planet. The volcano is the most visited place of Reunion Island and probably the most thrilling attraction of the Indian Ocean too.
- Mafate is one of the three famous calderas found at the heart of Reunion Island. The caldera of Mafate is home to a small village of the same name.
- Cilaos is a caldera located next to Mafate, but unlike its neighbour, Cilaos is accessible by road. However, you can still trek to reach its top.
- Voile de la Mariée is one of the many natural treasures of Reunion Island. This waterfall is famous for the optical illusion it produces.
- Saint-Paul market which opens on Fridays and Saturdays is famed to be the most beautiful market of Reunion Island.
- Saint-Denis is the capital city of Reunion Island. Located in the north, the capital City hosts the main administrative centres of the island.