Coat of Arms
Mayor Saidai Sa. Duraisamy
Social Board: There is no feed data to display!
» Tamil Nadu
» 426 km2
»Indian rupee () (₹) (INR)
Chennai is the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Located on the Coromandel Coast off the Bay of Bengal, it is the biggest industrial and commercial centre in South India, and a major cultural, economic and educational centre.
Chennai is known as the “Detroit of India” for its automobile industry. Chennai is the fifth-largest city and fourth-most populous metropolitan area in the country and 31st-largest urban area in the world.
The city is host to the third-largest expatriate population in India after Mumbai and Delhi, with 35,000 in 2009 and steadily climbing to 82,790 in 2011.
Chennai is the only city in South Asia and India to figure in the “52 places to go around the world” by The New York Times. Tourism guide publisher Lonely Planet has named Chennai as one of the top ten cities in the world to visit in 2015.
Chennai is ranked as a beta-level city in the Global Cities Index ahead of Hyderabad, Kolkata.
Chennai’s economy has a broad industrial base in the automobile, computer, technology, hardware manufacturing and healthcare sectors.
As of 2012, the city is India’s second largest exporter of information technology (IT) and business process outsourcing (BPO) services.
A major part of India’s automobile industry is based in and around the city thus earning it the nickname “Detroit of India”. It is known as the Cultural Capital of South India and is the most visited city in India by international tourists according to Euromonitor.
The city also serves as the location of the Madras Stock Exchange and the secondary financial hub in India following Mumbai.
Chennai has a diversified economic base anchored by the automobile, software services, hardware manufacturing, healthcare and financial services industries
India is ranked 54 with an Economic Complexity Index (ECI) of 0.361682Top
Top 5 Products exported by India
- Refined Petroleum (19%),
- Jewellery (6.5%),
- Packaged Medicaments (4.0%),
- Rice (2.2%),
- Cars (1.8%)
Top 5 Export destinations of India
This metropolis is often called the cultural capital of India for its deep-rooted traditions and long heritage.
Chennai is a city younger than its image. More than any other city in India, it is a true reflection of this country’s diversity.
In a time span of just over 350 years, Chennai has blossomed into a charming city that has a large heart and is very welcoming. It is city that encourages all forms of development, both modern technology and the traditional arts and crafts, and it embraces a series of paradoxes.
It was in 1639 that Francis Day and Andrew Cogan, agents for the English East India Company, acquired a strip of land on lease from the Vijayanagar King. They built the Fort St.George, which remains of the city’s important landmarks and serves as the Government Secretariat today.
- Marina Beach, is 12 km long and offers excellent opportunities for walks and has a very wide sandy foreshore. Its width is up to 300 m (985 ft). The Marina of Madras is the second longest urban beach in the world. it is an elegant promenade with flower beds along its lanes.
- Edward Elliot’s beach is spread along the coast down south from Marina. It is also the night beach for Chennai youth. This beach is comparatively quieter and it is located near Besant Nagar.
- Breezy Beach is located in the quiet neighborhood of Valmiki Nagar (Thiruvanmiyur) in Chennai. It is smaller and less popular than the Elliot’s beach.
- Covelong as it was known earlier, is a small fishing village located 40 km (25 mi) from Chennai on the way to Mahabalipuram